Monday, August 24, 2009

Monday is fun-day :)

Hello, I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Caitie Zajko. I'm from Allentown, Pennsylvania which is about 5 hours from the 'Burgh. I'm majoring in elementary education and I swim breaststroke and IM. For the next week, my roommate and I will be blogging about our first week of college. Enjoy!

Today was the first day for many things. It was the first day of classes. It was the first day of swim practice. And it was the first day I've done laundry since I arrived on campus last tuesday. The "first time" for many things can be nerve-wrecking, exciting, and scary. But today I didn't feel any of those. I felt relaxed and calm. Surprisingly, I actually had fun! And that's how college is supposed to be, right? Classes were exactly what I expected. Lecture. Lecture. Lecture.- but in a unique way. During my thinking and writing class we experimented with a boys vs. girls game to explore the writing process. (Of course the girls won) But anyway, we had fun while we were learning and that's what's important. Later on, I decided to go for a swim. Practice went well, although it's pretty difficult to motivate yourself to swim lap after lap with no one cheering you to the finish. Next week should be a lot better as we start practicing as a team. After practice, I was forced to head down to the laundry room. Over an hour went by, and I was still in line to clean my clothes. Finally, when it was my turn, I realized I forgot the detergent upstairs. Luckily, the girl behind me in line was nice and decided to lend me some detergent. About a half hour later, I took my laundry out of the washer to find that my white sheets were covered in blue spots! Apparently, the blue detergent didn't rinse out and had left some noticeably large blue spots. Oh well, blue and white polka-dot sheets are much more fashionable than plain old white sheets. I've finally come to the conclusion that Duquesne University is perfect. I love it here. Now I'm heading to Offramp!

Swimmingly yours,

Caitie


My name is Miriam McGeath. I'm from Roanoke, Virginia and I'm 18 years old. It took me about 6 hours to get on campus. I am a Physical Therapy major and I swim the 400 IM and the 200 breast.

Well, this was the first day of classes. I had Calculus and Interpersonal Communications. I thought for the first day of college it went very well. I saw my advisor today about my schedule and she was very helpful. My schedule is full and I will be pretty busy with 18 credits. Open swim also started today. It was felt great to get back in the pool. I know this may sound weird but I was excited to get back to school and swimming. I can't wait to start my routine schedule again. After swimming, i went to the bookstore to get the right books I need for my classes. They are so expensive!
College has been everything I thought it would be and more. I loved orientation and all the activities I have done thus far.
Oh yea, a couple more things, Dining halls! Towers is okay. The good thing about Towers is that it is all-you-can-eat!! I ate at options for lunch today and it was amazing. Off Ramp...I hear they call that the grease pit. I went there for dinner but it was too crowded, so I went to Towers instead.
Dorm Rooms! I am living in St. Ann's. The rooms are kinda tight with everything you need. But Caitie and I are doing great!
Laundry Room! What is up with only having 6 washers and 6 dryers?? There are about 300 people on the girls side that need to do laundry. I just think we should have a couple more!

Miriam

No comments:

Post a Comment