Saturday, June 27, 2009

Golfing with Alumni

As you can tell from the title, today was a great opportunity to get out and play golf with some of our former Duquesne Swimmers. Ed Wicker and I had been trying to find a date within our schedules to meet up, play golf, and just "shoot the breeze". I was fortunate enough that we were going to play later in the day and my wife, Christina, was able to hold down the fort at home. We played at Birdsfoot Golf Club right outside of Freeport, PA. If you are ever in the area and want to play golf, I highly recommend it. I had been there once before and was looking forward to playing......I had not seen Ed in a while and Doug Yeager was also planning on playing.

Doug graduated from Duquesne in 2006 and he and his wife Maria were working as teachers, but decided to leave their teaching careers to move to Pittsburgh and pursue their Master's Degree's at "the other Division I Pittsburgh school." Doug is attending Pitt working towards his degree in The Teaching of Visually Impaired and Orientation and Mobility, while his wife Maria works towards her Master's in Early Intervention. It was great to see Doug and I look forward to seeing him around the pool for the meets this year.

Ed, who is now working for Bombardier, will be getting married in 29 days to former Duquesne Swimmer Dani Newcomb (08'). I am looking forward to their wedding for many reason's: It is always great to see two people that you care about get married to each other. I love Lexington, KY and will have an opportunity to stay with my parent's who live there (my parent's will love it because they will get to see their grandchildren for three days), but also to hopefully catch up with all of the former Duquesne swimmers that swam with both of them. Anyway, back to the golf.

Ed and Doug were partners, and I was responsible for bringing a fourth to be my partner. I asked the coach from St. Francis (and also the husband of our former GA Megan Trimbur), Pat Gallagher to be my partner. The game was very enjoyable and because we were playing so late, took us right to dusk. Ed had some fabulous drives and Doug had some great putts. Pat and I just plugged along. The last few holes were quite a challenge and it always seemed, regardless if one could see the balls off the tee, that Doug's and Ed's always landed in the fairway. They did beat us in match play, but Pat and I won the outright holes as a team. Regardless, it was a great time with friends and we hope to play golf together again very soon.

Speaking of golf, the Duquesne Athletic Fund (DAF) golf outing is right around the corner. Last year Coach Bocci and I had a blast playing and were happy to see all the hole sponsorships from Duquesne Swimming Alumni and parents. This years golf outing will be Monday, September 28th. Unlike years in the past, every sponsorship that comes from Duquesne Swimming, half will go directly back to the program. I am attaching the link to the site so you will have access to it. www.goduquesne.com/daf/duqu-events/html If you can't play and want to sponsor a coach to play that would be great. If your business can sponsor a hole, a cart, or any of the other sponsorship packages just fill out the information, let them know you are associated with Duquesne Swimming and return it. If you have any questions feel free to call me.

Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment